On September 12, 2009, the WBASNY Board of Directors met at Fordham University School of Law, New York, New York. Here are the highlights of that meeting.
- Cynthia Schrock Seeley reported on the membership E-blasts that WBASNY can and will be doing, including a Presidents Message and a Member renewal E-Blast.
- President Seeley attended the Installation dinners of the Queens, Suffolk, Adirondack and Capital District chapters and also attended the Investiture of Diane Davis, new Federal Bankruptcy Court Judge.
- President Seeley announced that this year marks the 25th Anniversary of some of our chapters.
- President Seeley reported that WBASNY sent a letter to Governor Patterson supporting the anti-shackling legislation which was subsequently passed into law, that WBASNY is co-sponsoring Mediation Settlement Day in October and that WBASNY is participating with other bar associations on the Debra H. Amicus brief, which is due October 1, 2009.
- President Seeley also announced that WBASNY is planning a gala to celebrate its 30th anniversary, to coincide with the presentation of the Doris Hoffman Medal to its recipient, Lenore Kramer.
- The American Heart Association gave a presentation by Sharon Bean, who advised WBASNY of the “Go Red for Women Movement.” Ms. Bean provided suggestions to raise awareness, such as putting information into newsletters and hosting luncheons. GOREDFORWOMEN.ORG has the numbers women need to watch out for. February 5, 2010 will be “GO RED DAY.”
- Martha Gifford proposed a resolution regarding a special birthday motion for Florence Shientag. The board passed the resolution.
- The board voted to approve Deborah A. Scalise and Sarah Jo Hamilton as the 2009-2010 Professional Ethics Co-Chairs.
- The 2010 Convention Committee reported that Convention 2010 will be held at Honor’s Haven Resort & Spa in Ellenville, New York May 21, 2010 through May 23, 2010.
- It was reported that WBASNY now has Economic and Social Council status which gives us a voice in the United Nations. Such status has been in effect since June, 2009 allowing us to support International Women’s Rights and to address concerns regarding women.
- Presentations were given from Amy Schwartz to nominate Catherine (Kate) Cerulli and Deborah Scalise to nominate Jane Aoyama-Martin for the NYSBA Haywood Burns Memorial Award. A vote was taken, with Catherine Cerulli carrying the vote.
- A presentation was given by Deborah Scalise to nominate Susan L. Pollet for the NYSBA Ruth G Schapiro Award. The board voted to so approve such nomination.
- Mindy Zlotogura announced that The National Women’s Hall of Fame is inducting Karen DeCrow on the weekend of October 11, 2009 at Seneca Falls, NY. It was reported that WBASNY agreed to sponsor the event and members of WBASNY purchased four tables (40 seats), including one table purchased by Capital District.
- It was announced that an award was created last year and named for our former Chief Justice, Judith S. Kaye. The first time this award is to be presented will be at the 2010 Convention. Applications for this award must be postmarked by December 14, 2009. On January 30, 2010 the Awards Committee will vote on the WBASNY Awards, to be given out at the Awards Dinner at Convention.
- The Debra H. Amicus brief is being prepared by the Bar of the City of New York; is due October 1, 2009. There are new forms for members or others who wish to request WBASNY’s amicus participation available on our website.
- Heidi Schult Gregory gave a presentation regarding the newsletter, new format, and encouraged the submission of photos, articles, and chapter news.
- A presentation was given by Jody Fay where she explained some changes to this years budget report. Discussion ensued regarding having a separate convention budget, and that it is not necessary for the board to vote on the annual budget.
- A presentation was given by the legislative Committee by Annette Hasapidis and Sandra Rivera advising that follow up and feedback from other committees is very important.
- A presentation was given by the Membership Committee by Irene Villacci and Cynthia Platt and it was announced that there would be a mandatory conference call on September 15 @ 4:00 p.m. for Chapter Presidents and Chapter Membership Liaisons. The Co-Chairs plan on visiting as many chapters as they can during the year to assist with membership and the benefits of WBASNY. There are 40,000 female attorneys in New York State and WBASNY needs to tap in.
- President Seeley announced that WBASNY is looking for ideas of ways to celebrate the 30th anniversary of WBASNY, especially in any of the areas of the upstate chapters.
- President Seeley also announced that WBASNY has scheduled a United States Supreme Court admission date for December 13, 2010.
- Camille Siano Enders spoke about the Legal Project Fundraiser